Pooja room or prayer room is and must be one the most auspicious and sacred rooms of your home. But this “most auspicious and sacred” room needs be as per rules and guidelines of vastu shastra.
What You Must Follow
– Location- North-East corner of the home is best site for Pooja place. East and west are second best locations.
– Keep the pooja place on ground floor.
– In big plots or factories etc. construct Pooja ghar at center; this is very auspicious.
– Keep the idols in east and/or west of the prayer room. Place the idols a few inches (at least an inch) away from wall.
– Pooja Room can have doors and windows in north or east walls. Have two shutter door of high quality wood for prayer room.
– White or light yellow colored marble work and walls in prayer room makes it look more auspicious
– You can place a lamp stand and Agnikund in the pooja room in south-east or eastern side. Keep showcases and almirahs towards west or south walls
– If the roof of Pooja room is pyramid shape then it’s very auspicious.
– If the prayer area is in kitchen then keep it in the north-east corner of kitchen; you should face east while praying.
What You Must Avoid
– The Pooja place should never be in south direction.
– Avoid Pooja place in any bedroom. However if there is no option then use the north-east corner of the bedroom as Pooja place (but remember this is the last and least favored option). Also remember that while sleeping or lying on bed your feet should not point towards this corner.
– Do not have Pooja place in a store-room or under a staircase or in basement or first or above floors.
– Do not have prayer place above, below or next to any toilet or kitchen.
– Idols should never face south. Idols should never be directly in front of the entrance door of prayer room.
– Never keep a dustbin in the Pooja place; it reduces positive energy of the room.
– No one should sleep in the prayer room (except if the prayer room is in bedroom).
– Don’t keep the items in the Pooja area that do not belong there.
-Never ever – under any circumstance – conceal any money or other valuables in Pooja place.